Indium Corporation manufactures NanoFoil®, a nanotechnology material that delivers energy in a controlled and precise manner for joining, energetics and heating applications.
NanoFoil® is a reactive multi-layer foil that provides instantaneous heat for a variety of applications in many industries (semiconductor, aerospace, automobile, electronics, biomedical and defense markets). NanoFoil® is a predictable, controllable and affordable material that is industry accepted and proven to lower manufacturing costs while providing repeatable and reliable bonds and reactions.
This reactive multi-layer foil is fabricated by vapor-depositing thousands of alternating nanoscale layers of Aluminum (Al) and Nickel (Ni). When activated by a small pulse of local energy from electrical, optical or thermal sources, the foil reacts exothermically to precisely deliver localized heat up to temperatures of 1500°C in fractions (thousandths) of a second.
Traveling approximately eight meters per second, the reaction's rapid delivery coupled with its localized and versatile nature makes it ideal for many types of bonding and reaction initiation (energetics) applications.
Benefits of NanoFoil®
Customers around the world have discovered the unique benefits of NanoFoil® and NanoBond® to solve their current bonding challenges.
- Instantaneous soldering at room temperature
- No thermal damage - components not exposed to reflow temperatures
- Compatible with all solders
- Environmentally friendly, Pb free, and RoHS compliant
- No license fees
- Elimination of expensive reflow equipment
- Easy to ignite with heat, electrical or laser pulse
- Electrically conductive
- Minimal pressure required
- Safe and shipped around the world daily
- 10x drop in thermal resistance over conventional thermal interface materials
- Available in any 2D shape
- Compatible with all Pick and Place equipment
Applications of NanoFoil®
- Sputtering Target Bonding
- NanoFoil®, a nanotechnology material, is used to simplify the sputtering target bonding process in a process called NanoBonding®. NanoBonding allows target bonders and target manufacturers to make reliable and repeatable bonds while increasing margins and lower capex.
- Electronics Assembly
- NanoFoil® is used to melt adjoining solder layers and join components together without exposing components to reflow temperatures. Better yet, the joining process is simple and fast.
- The process is performed in air and at room temperature, it has no flux requirement, and it is completed in fractions of a second with no reflow equipment
- NanoFoil® is well-suited for energetics applications such as propellant ignition, munitions and circuit protection applications. NanoFoil® utilizes controlled, localized heat, and can be engineered to deliver a broad range of reaction temperatures, reaction rates and reaction energies.
- Thermal Management
- The NanoBond® process can be used to solder a component, circuit board or a heat spreader directly to a heat sink to achieve thermal performance that is 6 to 8 times better than that of polymer-based TIM.
- Outstanding Thermal Performance
- True Metallic Bond without exposure to Reflow Temperatures
- Residual Stresses Minimized
- Flux Free
- In Air at Room Temperature
- One Second Soldering