Stretch wrap or stretch film is a highly stretchable plastic film that is wrapped around items. The elastic recovery keeps the items tightly bound.
It is frequently used to unitize pallet loads but also may be used for bundling smaller items.
In pallet unitizing, stretch wrap can have several functions:
- improved stability of products or packages, forming a unit load
- more efficient handling and storage of unit loads
- some degree of dust and moisture protection
- some degree of tamper resistance and resistance to package pilferage
- some degree of sun protection (UV stretch wraps)